Sunday, November 2, 2014

From Day Dreams to Comics Reality: part 1

Welcome to the first of a multiple of pieces as I try to explain the ins and outs of creating comics. Ergo, the first piece should logically be about why would any semi-sane person undertake this sort of art. While the notion of being a comics creator is cool upon first blush, it is a much more daunting undertaking upon the most cursory of examinations. While the reasons why vary from person-to-person, I can only touch upon why I am doing it.

The comics bug bit me at an early age; and as an immigrant kid (family emigrated from Brussels, Belgium to Los Angeles when I was six), it provided a world to retreat into when the larger one was often not the most pleasant. The comics world I retreated into was one where bullies got their comeuppance, a marked contrast to the reality of the schoolyard.

[caption id="attachment_977" align="aligncenter" width="300"]Moebius' Blueberry Moebius' Blueberry[/caption]

My comics world was particularly broad, as it also included Bande-Dessinee works such as Tintin & Asterix. My parents divorced soon after arrival, and the highlight of my weekend visitations to my Dad’s house was to read his extensive collection of BD’s albums in the original French. Of course, I began the hobby of comic collecting that I pursue to this day.

As I grew up, it became apparent that mastering basics of drawing such as perspective would be an ultimately futile attempt. Similarly, and at almost the same time, I was forever entranced by punk rock. Foremost amongst punk’s credos is to embrace ‘Do It Yourself’ (DIY).

Tintin-v-Asterix-007

Flash forward to adulthood, and I had arrived at place professionally, personally, and financially, where the notion of creating and publishing my own comic is vaguely possible. It is at this point that the financial aspect be emphasized: making any money whatsoever in comics is very, very difficult if you are not one of the usual suspects (Marvel, DC, Image, IDW, etc.). A more realistic attitude to take that this is your art, and you are pursuing it for the same reason that any other artist does it…you want to express yourself. There are very few things more personally rewarding than taking in the words, “I really enjoyed your comic.” Just don’t expect it to feed you.

Another development that made what had been a hair-brained notion, creating and publishing my own comic, possible: personal computers. Before the personal computing revolution, indie comics were few and far between because of the quite daunting minutiae (expensive too) of printing: kerning, shooting blue line film, paper stock, etc. Computers and software such Adobe Creative Suite (particularly Photoshop, Illustrator, & InDesign) has made these formerly arcane tasks more accessible.

Thus with these factors, in place, I began my long trek from a day-dream to a finished comic…but you will have to come back next time for that tale.

No comments:

Post a Comment