Monday, October 6, 2014

Like Father, Like Daughter - Indie Comic Preview

Like Father, Like Daughter: Short Fuse Media and Comic Uno Kickstart Their First Published Comic Book


OK, this is our first comic PREVIEW, and while we don't know a lot about the project, I still felt compelled to share it. I'm excited enough about what Like Father, Like Daughter is doing with Short Fuse Media that I wanted to put the word out about their Kickstarter to fund their first published comic book. I'll do my best to give you some details, but to hear it told best, watch the video from their Kickstarter below.

like father, like daughter

Full transparency here, I was turned on to Short Fuse Media because I was hired to do some writing and lettering work for a forthcoming project. I was enthralled and excited by the story that I was brought on to help tell and thus I became immediately interested in whatever else they had in the works. That is how I discovered Like Father, Like Daughter. I have no part in this project but I am equally excited about the project for two reasons. One, this will be the first published book from Short Fuse Media, and as one of my favorite unattributed quotes goes, "Comic books are like boobs. They look fine on a computer, but I'd rather hold one in my hand." (No, it wasn't Stan Lee as the Internet may have led you to believe). Two, Short Fuse Media is also giving a young creator the chance to make her comic book a reality. I think this is just plain awesome. I wish that every young creator with a story to tell could have a chance like this.

Like Father, Like Daughter is a story of a girl whose father abandons her to become the world's first superhero. This premise really intrigues me because it's a superhero story with a real world twist. We always think of superheroes as good guys when they are saving the day, but we rarely see a superhero with a family, much less the fallout that superhero status can cause for their families. Just think about the hypocrisy at play here.  A superhero who saves the world on the reg, but leaves his daughter to be raised without a father. It's a pretty heavy premise, and as far as I can tell, it's just the tip of the iceberg. Kat aka Comics Uno (also a comic book reviewer with her own YouTube show) teases that there are many twists and turns to come, but we'll just have to wait and see...

I urge everyone to consider backing this Kickstarter project because the comic is based on an idea I believe in, which is stories that can help uplift young people. Not only is the publishing of this story going to help Kat make her dream of becoming a published comic book creator, but the story itself will inspire many young people who may be in the same situation. It's rare to see a story of this nature in a superhero comic book, and I think that's a shame. In the past four years that I have grown within the comic book industry, I have met many creators who truly inspire me because of why they want to make comics. They want to tell stories that aren't being told. So many great indie creators are still on the underground level, and I really hope that in the years to come, we can help build up storytellers who have a message that can truly help people in the world. I believe that this book fits the bill. Enjoy and check out the Kickstarter campaign online here:  https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/430817454/like-father-like-daughter-1-comic-book


 

1 comment:

  1. Gosh the sentiments of inspiring up and coming writers was really powerful. If I needed a write up to help a campaign I would want you on my side. Really nice stuff. Peace.

    ReplyDelete